Mapledurham Playing Fields and Pavilion

Mapledurham Playing Fields and Pavilion Today

The Playing Fields are situated in Caversham Heights and cover approximately 25 acres. The Playing Field, Pavilion, tennis courts, wooded areas and playground are used year round by a wide variety of groups and individuals, including families, dog walkers, nature lovers, footballers from all over The Borough, schools, play groups, the Mapledurham Lawn Tennis Club, the Bridge Club, Escape playgroup, Children's clubs, an organic market, birthday parties, and charity events.

For information on hiring the Mapledurham Pavilion for events and activities, contact Reading Borough Council Parks Department on 0118 937 3848 or email luke.lloyd@reading.gov.uk

The History

In 1938 Mr. C.E. Hewett gifted The Mapledurham Playing Fields on the understanding they be used forever for outdoor games, sports, and past-times for the purpose of a Playing Fields and Recreation Ground. Some information on the Charity, named Recreation Ground charity. Charitable trust number 304328, can be found either here or on the Charity Commission website at www.charity-commission.gov.uk

As stated on the Reading Borough Council website, Reading Borough Council is committed to preserving and improving Reading Borough Council's parks and open spaces for generations to come. There are also many groups and committees in Caversham and Reading who are also committed to preserving the playing fields and seeing the Pavilion brought back to a good and usable condition.

Mapledurham Playing Fields – Short History

  • 1938 Charles Hewett gave land, in Trust under the Charity Commission, to the National Playing Fields Association with Mapledurham Parish Council as managers.
  • 1940’s Wartime hut became War Memorial Hall
  • 1975 New Community Hall built with the addition of changing rooms and tennis club room – Mapledurham Pavilion
  • 1977 Local Government Reorganisation; part of Mapledurham Parish, including the Playing Fields, transferred to Reading Borough Council
  • 1Apr1979 Transfer of responsibility from National Playing Fields Association in Trust to Reading Borough Council
  • 20Sep1985 Charity Commission Trust Deed naming Reading Borough Council as Trustee
  • 2005-2007 WADRA and the greater community of Cavesham and Reading ran a successful campaign to stop RBC from selling off land for housing and building a school on the remaining fields.
  • 2007 Reading Borough Council Cabinet identified as Trustees
  • 2007 (continues) WADRA working with RBC to ensure that RBC as trustees fulfill their obligations to the Charity including the filing of clear and accurate accounting
  • 2010 Fundraising for the extension and refurbishment of the existing Pavilion begins

Currently WADRA are heading up a campaign of fundraising to secure funds needed to extend and refurbish the Pavilion which is in desperate need of repair. We currently have a pledge of £100,000 from Reading Borough Council and a very generous donation of £25,000 from Festival Republic, the organisers of Reading Festival.